£33000 - £34000 per annum
5 months ago
Our client a leading manufacturer within the plastics sector is looking to recruit an experienced Shift Manager to join their successful team based at their site in Hengoed.
To motivate staff, manage machines and process throughout your shift in order to:
* Achieve target product quality levels
* Ensure on time delivery and adherence to plan
* Maximise efficiency and minimise waste
* Ensure continuous improvement activities are taking place.
* You have overall responsibility for all manufacturing operations during your shift ensuring the company's commitment to product quality and delivery are met whilst minimising cost and driving productivity.
* Conduct two four hourly product quality checks throughout the shift and verify that all routine inspections have been carried out by the PQC / Operators.
* Review and sign line clearance and check first off samples against standard to commence the next job.
* Prepare and conduct a formal shift hand-over with the succeeding shift and receive same from the preceding shift.
* Manage labour and equipment in all areas to achieve daily and weekly production targets (100% on time and in full delivery - OTIF) and to also maintain the level of product quality (0.5% customer returns maximum), and at the same time to achieve under 3% internal scrap. Respond to daily quality issues and institute corrective actions as required.
* Manage the technical setting team on shift, ensuring all procedures are followed with regards to tool changes and that first and last off procedures are being followed. Act on audit findings and institute corrective actions. Work with the Process Engineers and Setters to optimise machines and processes to achieve high levels of quality at target cycle times.
* Training of all staff, regarding quality standards and standard operating procedures (SOPs) to achieve optimum production efficiency and product quality. Identify on-going training needs and liaise with others to complete if necessary. Maintain the skills matrix for all employees on your shift.
* Continually look for ways to reduce manufacturing costs.
* Ensure all operations are carried out in line with current Health & Safety legislation and the company's policies and procedures. Strive for smarter and safer ways of working and communicate best practice to your team and others.
* Handle first line disciplinary issues with all staff, poor workmanship, lateness, absenteeism, unacceptable behaviour.
* Close daily liaison with, production planner and Quality department, with regards to any issues that may affect production or quality targets.
* Working with the General Manager, select, recruit and manage the retention of all permanent and temporary staff. Conduct regular appraisals and encourage an attitude of flexibility by offering job swaps and skills development.
* Conducting daily team briefs (tool-box talks) for, Setters, Operators/PQC's and MH.
* Good housekeeping (5S) - ensure that the factory and surrounding areas are kept tidy and within health and safety guidelines.
* Raise tool reports if a tool breaks and suggest ideas of how to improve for next production run. Close liaison with Engineering and Tooling departments.
* Produce daily shift reports and use the analytical data to improve machine efficiencies, and to feed any changes back to the Technical Manager for approval.
* Assist in new product or project introduction to ensure process capability and quality standards are achievable.
* Participate in and actively promote the company's CIP (continuous improvement program) looking for ways to continually improve the way we work thereby maximising productivity and minimising waste.
The successful candidate:
* Must have a proven track record working within a similar role.
* Must be able to work a 3-shift pattern
* Experience using a variety of CI tools and techniques
* Previous experience working within the plastics sector would be a distinct advantage